After being inspired by ‘Thomas The Tank Engine’ this morning I decided to put together a picture to help Miss A learn some numbers and colours. We have been practicing counting and learning colours lately and I am really keen to start putting some craft activities together and visuals out for Miss A to help the learning process.
What You Need:
- Coloured Paper
- White paper
- Black texta
- Crayons (we used Lunables crayons)
- Google some train designs- trace or draw your engine and carriages (You can draw as many as you please-I started with 3 carriages). I googled ‘Thomas The Tank Engine’ and did my best to draw one of the pictures I found to get our engine for our ‘Counting Train’. I used scraps of coloured paper I had from another craft activity that we are working on at the moment but you could use what ever type of paper you have.
- Draw your engine, and carriages. I did them in different colours to add to the learning process on the end picture. I used a pencil to draw them then went over with black texta to outline them. On the carriages I put the numbers 1, 2 and 3. Depending on the number of carriages you make will depend on how many numbers you cover.
- Cut out your engine and carriages ready to glue onto the background.
- It’s time to design a background for your ‘Counting Train’ to stick onto. This is completely up to you and depending on how creative you wish to get. We used our Lunables Crayons, coloured paper and glue to create our background. Originally Miss A was just going to just colour in the background but as Miss A was losing interest I needed to change it up a little and change the idea to ripping up coloured paper to stick on to make grass.
- It is time to stick your train onto the background.
- Once you have your ‘Counting Train’ picture you can use it to help teach colours, numbers, and words.
NOTE: Depending on the age of your child will depend on how much they can help with this activity. Encourage them to participate and help in as much as they are capable of doing, otherwise try and explain what you are doing with them as you do it.
Here is the end result for Miss A and Mummies ‘Counting Train’ :
By Clare at Relaxed Parenting